Thursday, June 28, 2007

SOS!!! Putting This Out to My Trusted Readers....

Alright guys... so I know I'm usually the one bringing and breaking down the information so it becomes palatable, but I'm calling on all your self-professed dog experts out there!
My girlfriend has a cute, just turned 1 year old Toy Yorkie. This guy has energy TO SPARE! And for the most part, he's the most adorable freakin' thing you'll ever have the pleasure of spinning around the living room with, but sometimes, especially when trying to train him, he's unmanageable. It's like he's got the most severe case of ADHD you've ever seen. Granted I understand he's still a puppy, but typically after the 4th or 5th time you correct a dog on something, they typically pick up on it that it's something they shouldn't do. I can tell he hears us when we correct him, and it does stick.. for about 2 seconds. One night after battling with him over not coming on the bed and climbing all over us with a toy to play at 4am in the morning, there were threats levied (and not by me...) that he just might find himself flying out the second story window. Needless to say, it can be very frustrating.
I'm looking for good training techniques that helped begin to establish obedience, and usher out the "headless chicken" puppy act. When's the right time to start?

Read more from Brandon James in Planet-Pets.com's free monthly pet newsletter, The Scoop or check out the website at www.planet-pets.com.

No comments: