Thursday, April 19, 2007

Let's just take a second to think about this....

This afternoon, I read a VERY interesting story on Foxnews.com, regarding the percentage of imported food goods that is inspected upon entry to North America. Can you guess what it is? 30%?... nope. 20%?... not even close. 10%? 5%?... not even. 1.3%!!
Let's use a loose comparison to illustrate that.
Out of 100 fish from China, 1 fish and maybe a tail is inspected. Out of 100 eggs, just one plus a yoke is looked over and tested. OR even more absurd would be to think that if you went to a restaurant and only looked at your entree once out of a hundred times, eating whatever it was in front of you, regardless of what it was.
Does that seem ok? Are you kidding me?
With the contaminated wheat gluten coming from China, and increasing demand for imports from China grow, I start to wonder how vulnerable are we?
I like to keep this forum focused on our fuzzy friends, but what more do we owe to our pets than a happy, healthy owner? I think that's the best gift you could give anyone.
I've definitely moved more towards eating greater amounts of organic, locally grown foods in recent years, and I can honestly say that I feel better for it. Whether it's placebo, or just a greater confidence in the quality of the food I'm eating, I'm not sure. Either way, it doesn't really matter to me. I like it. It's not hard to recognize the tell-tale signs that America is growing more and more aware of the growing concerns with our mass produced food systems. Every time you walk past another health food store, Whole Foods, Erewohn, or organic section in your grocery store, you can rest assured that the tides are changing. And it'll never completely go organic, just like Honda will never stop making the Civic model, even though the Accord is clearly a better product. But I digress...

Visit Planet-Pets.com's message forum to discuss this topic further...
http://p075.ezboard.com/bplanetpetspetadvicecommunity

Related Websites:
Food and Drug Administration: http://www.fda.gov/
Agriculture Department: http://www.usda.gov/

For more articles and comments from Brandon James, subscribe to Planet-Pets.com's monthly newsletter - The Scoop - click here
www.planet-pets.com

No comments: