Thursday, September 27, 2007

PDA Approves Drug For Fat Cats... and Dogs!


What's next, Ritalin?
In a related story to my last posting, I came across this new bulletin as well.
Pfizer has been approved to market Slentrol, a liquid formula to help pets maintain a healthy weight, to the estimated 5 percent of U.S. dogs that are 20 percent over their ideal weight.
It seems like their heart's in the right place when the FDA explained this approval by proclaiming that "Overweight pets are more likely to develop heart disease, diabetes and joint problems, according to the government agency." They just want to help is all....
I'm not a huge fan of pharmaceutical drugs and the whole industry, but I know that some good has come out of it over the past 60 some odd years. Whereas I know that this can help some pets that are outrageously overweight, I'd rather stuff some sense down the throats of the owners first. I'm sure that it's not just a "glandular" problem that ole' Poochie is dealing with... more like someone that doesn't know how to say no.....

Come join us in the web's most dynamic and fun online pet community at www.planet-pets.com and keep your finger on the pulse by signing up free to our monthly online newsletter, The Scoop today!

No comments: